2/13 – Response 2.5

February 13, 2019

Apologies, first, for the late posting. I have no excuse. Because it would be unfair to ask you to write a required, graded response at this point, I will only ask you to finish reading all the poems in the Poetry Packet 3. Any response below will be counted as extra credit. Please also read Gordon Harvey’s “Elements of the Academic Essay,” which is the standard text Queens College uses to teach college writing.

Below, I would like you to post a short response––thinking toward a thesis––about which poem you would like to write about among the three packets. What kind of interpretative question does this poem raise for you that you think you can answer in a 3-4 page essay? What are the challenges of analyzing the poem, and how do you think you can confront those challenges? Although these are general questions, I would like you to answer them specifically, with direct examples.

Also, a note: I would like to emphasize, after attendance flagged last class, that arriving to class on time each day is an important part of your participation for the class. You will otherwise miss important information about assignments.

4 Responses to “2/13 – Response 2.5”

1.   Navneet Kaur said:

After analyzing the poem “The General” by Siegfried Sassoon I came to the idea that the poet wanted to write this poem to show his anger towards the general and his empathy towards the soldiers. The poet often in the lines portrays his feelings using many literary devices. In the essay that is assigned, I can try to pose the question of how the author uses the literary devices to strengthen his thoughts and ideas on the wars strategy and the people involved in it. When trying to answer this I can face the challenge of finding many different literary devices that express different meanings. It will be hard to narrow down to one interpretation but I will try to use the best and appropriate one to provide a sufficient meaning of the poem.

2.   Jason Jiang said:

After reading the poem “Dulce et Decornum Est” by Wilfred Owen from my interpretation the poet wanted to show war from the eyes of a soldier. After looking up the meaning of the title I found that its connected to a saying “to die for one’s country” which is usually what happens to soldiers in war. The poem uses very vivid imagery to bring out the horrors and violence that is associated with World War I. In the essay I can pose the question of how the use of literary devices can help immerse the reader into the poem and give them a better understanding of the message the poem is giving. The challenges of analyzing the poem would be understanding the position the person in the poem is in and understanding the emotions that they are feeling, I can confront these challenges by using literary devices and extracting the tone of the poem like how on one line somebody says “Gas! Gas! Quick, boys” which shows the situation the person is in and how they need to be alert.

3.   Wenhui Ding said:

From all three packets, “Lament of the Frontier Guard” gets my attention most. The question regarded in this poem has long been in my head. Why are metaphor and personification better when the topic of warfare? The biggest challenge in analyzing this poem would be trying to perceive what lies under those metaphors. To solve this problem, the priority is to specify what type of message that I would like to discover from metaphors. I want to find information about what the author is thinking and why the author is thinking in this way. After this, multiple times of reading the poem is necessary. To fully understand the metaphor, Richard’s advice would play an important role in helping me achieve this goal. I would read the poem aloud and slowly. Then I would write my thoughts down and organize them in a understandable manner to give me some inspiration of how the author is thinking.

4.   JiaJun Lin said:

After examining through a dozen poems, I would like to further investigate the meanings and the symbolism in “Design” by Robert Frost. Poet used the white spider and the moth to contrast this innocent but also evil scenery, normally, people would be tied to the angelic and innocent to white, the symbolism here happens to contradict that idea, it makes me wonder, does the color matter? Does it matter to be right or wrong? And is there such thing as “design” or no design? And to answer these questions, I think the individual will have variation in their expectations, as the writing from Terry Eagleton clarified that values and interests are different from one and another. In my opinion, there is no white or dark, right or wrong. The moth just happened to be trapped by this flowery looking spider, like a fate.