3/13 – Response 2.3

March 12, 2019

Reading Assignment: Sigmund Freud, “Screen Memories.” This may be a challenging reading, so take notes on what you think are the most important passages, and prepare questions about whatever you have difficulty with. (If you did not get a copy of the reading, you can find a pdf under the “readings” tab.)

Writing Assignment: Following Freud’s method, try to think of your own earliest memories. In a short response, write about what comes of the exercise. How does this practice help you evaluate the theories Freud presents here about “screen memories”?

16 Responses to “3/13 – Response 2.3”

1.   Navneet Kaur said:

One of the earliest memories I can recall is when I was seven years old and my older brother dropping a hammer on my foot. I remember it as him doing that on purposely but he claims he did I on accident and it wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound but according to my memory I had to get stitches on my foot and the scar is still there. I still think he did it on purpose but people say otherwise. I had to get stitches on my foot and the scar is still there. This is the earliest memory can recall but according to Freud’s method, my memory can be sadly it contradicted. He claims that what you remember may not be what actually what happened but what you perceived to happen. Taking this into consideration my brother may be right that it was indeed an accident. His method of screen memories gets me actually thinking in a little open mind and thinking maybe I am wrong.

2.   Rose Fattakhov said:

What I think my earliest memory is happened when I was two years old. Well, that is what I have been told. It was in the previous house my family lived in. I was running to the stairs on the second floor and as I was going down the stairs, I fell and starting falling head first down the stairs. Then, I remember being at the bottom of the stairs covered in blood because I broke my two front teeth, and my grandpa who tried to run and help was standing over me. This contributes to Freud’s presentation of the screen memory because my recollection of this event if entirely visual. There are no other components to this memory. I may think this memory is completely right, but according to my brother, who came into the room immediately after it happened, there was little to no blood. I did have to go to an oral surgeon to get my teeth pulled because they were chipped and jammed into my gums. Even though my memory seems vivid to me, according to Freud, I might be completely wrong. My brother might be right with the fact that it was not a bloodbath like I remember it being.

3.   jennifer gavilanes said:

Freud’s way of viewing screen memories makes me think in a deeper way to my past memories and how to view them. The earliest memory i had of anything when i was younger and i could visually image it and only i will ever know how tramatic it was to me was when i blacked out for a few seconds at the park while on a swing and fell down to my back. I remember being in so much shock that i did not feel pain until i stood up and went home. To me i had fallen and been seriously injured due to how i felt however, to my dad it was because of how in shock i was and he told me it was not as bad as i thought it was in my head.

4.   Matthew Outar said:

Reading Sigmund Freud’s “Screen Memories” immediately caused, me to try and recollect onto my earliest memories. Rationally, we are led to believe that our earliest memories hold some sort of significance. Why else would our brains prioritize this memory? Freud presents the notion that the memories we hold might not be as accurate as we remember. The earliest memory I can personally recall was when I was two years old and was on a trip in my parents’ home country. Unfortunately, on the first day I fell into a trench and almost drowned due to my inability to swim at this point. While I cannot recall vivid details, I do hold the memory of drowning. Luckily, my brother was able to save me and pull me out of the water. However, I have no memory at all of the moments before or after the actual experience itself. The only reason I actually knew my brother saved me was from stories I heard. This relates to Freud’s points because while I was able the traumatic memory from my past I was able to do with very little accuracy. Looking at this from a psychoanalytic point of view may be viewed as a safety mechanism for repressing traumatic experiences. Taking a moment to actually recall how much we remember and employing some significance to them is extremely fascinating.

5.   Brian Osorio said:

One of the earliest memory I can think of is when, I was around three years old. I attended a daycare right near my house and i remember my first actual friend of my life. I don’t remember his actual name, or the things we did together, but i remember he was my first ever friend and we had a special bond together. I remember his mom picking him up and me staying in the daycare one day and that might’ve been the last time I got to see him. As I said I cannot recall any of the things we did together from my mind, since it was probably too long ago for me to remember, or i just did not give it the importance it needed so i can remember it for later on. But does that mean he was actually my friend or does that mean I just made all this up since i can’t recall any memories from then, I don’t think so in my opinion. Even though I have no memories of us doing anything not even nap time together, I still strongly believe that we did something together and maybe even a lot more together because I still remember him 15 years later. His face, facial features, and hair come straight to my mind right away whenever I think of him. So that fact that I have no memory or recollection of us doing anything I still believe we did something important together or else he would have just been lost in my unconscious mind forever.

6.   Rawdah Rahim said:

Our memories are essential to us; whether it’s information for an exam or to tell childhood stories, our brain sorts them out into long term and short term memories. Sometimes we have so many memories that when we go back to refer to them. According to “Screen Memory”, Freud explains that even if we are a hundred percent certain that memory took place, some details might not be accurate.
    One of my earliest memories from my childhood that I could think about is when I accidentally broke my two front teeth. I was about three years old when I was out with my family at the mall in a Macy’s shopping for summer clothes. My parents were waiting in line to purchase the cloths while my oldest brother and I wait for them. I distinctly remember running around with my purple slippers trying to chase my brother for a yellow envelope when I suddenly fell face first on the groundbreaking my two front teeth right out of my mouth. My hippocampus can still hear the screams that I let out at the mall with tears running down into my bloody toothless mouth. Freud claims that “… recollections grow scantier and less clear, there are gaps in them which must cover more than a year; and it is not I believe… “ (Freud, 118). He categorizes memory into three groups, memories that parents continuously explain, scenes that are described to someone where an unknown person is involved (like someone’s doctor or friends) and, memories the individual judges to be essential and, Unlike Freud who feels that he falls into the second category, I find myself to connect with the third one. I have seen that I categorize my memories not based on what my parents have told me, but what I feel has contributed to the relative importance in the shape of my current personality. I compare my present-day individual characteristics to verify memory and its occurrence based on the scenerio and conclude if I would participate in any activities or decisions that were supposedly taken place.

7.   Jenson Hu said:

One of my earliest memories that I remember is when I was about 6 years old. I was playing basketball with my grandpa and my brother on the roof of an apartment that I used to live in and I accidentally tripped and fell on the hard floor. I stood up and saw blood from my knees, and started crying non-stop. I vividly remember when my grandpa ran to pick me up and brought me back into the apartment, cleaned up the blood, and put some ointment and a bandage on it. This practice helps evaluate the theories that “screen memories” involve occasions of fear, shame and physical pain.

8.   JiaJun Lin said:

After taking author’s views in consideration, the word screen from the title, is what I think of is unintentionally projected, just like the movies we see on screen, there is a purpose to it, the theme can be joyful or painful.
    As I was reading through the text, I could not stop thinking about memories from my past, I was surprised by how I could not recall any image that marked a scar on my face, from what I was told, I was playing at kitchen, and I happen to fell on the edge of something sharp, my face and hand were covered with blood. However, I do not recall any related to that, not the blood on my hand nor the pain I experienced. The reason that I do not recall any of that may due to the fact that my mind screened out the memory, instead of remembering it, my mind could blocked it. I have read research on the brain mechanism, sometimes, our brains will put out the best picture that may be false, or simply neglect the picture to protect us.

9.   Stephanie Simondac said:

After reading Sigmund Freuds, “Screen Memories,” it has inspired me to think and reminisce about my childhood. One of the earliest memories I can remember was when I was four years old. I was still living in the Philippines at the time and I was watching Cinderella with my mom. During the movie she had left me to go finish the laundry upstairs. While I was alone in my room my cousins whom also lived in the same house as me began to play around with the door “scaring,” me by pretending I was locked in. However, when my mom finally came downstairs after she had transferred the clothes from the washer to the dryer she was not able to open the door. I then tried opening the door too by twisting the knob while my mom attempted to turn the knob which probably caused the door to get worse. After realizing that it was not going to open she then called my cousins and uncle for help. When 5 minutes passed I began to cry out of fear and panic. I had thought that I was going to be stuck there forever and as a kid this was a very traumatizing moment in my life. Finally, after what felt like forever the door was fixed thanks to my uncle. After reading “Screen Memories,” it made me rethink what I know about my memories and wonder what parts of it is true and what is missing from it. I believe and agree with Freud’s theory as it has been supported with scientific evidence that as humans get older their memories become more selective. This further influences me to become more self-aware of all of the details and events that occurred in my life.

10.   Terry Chen said:

The earliest memory I can recall was when I was 5, I’ve just came back from China and I was unfamiliar with where I was. Shortly after I was born I was sent back to China and came back to America. When I arrived in America I was dropped off at an apartment with two strangers standing outside. I later learned that they were my parents. However, it was still hard to settle in and get comfortable considering everything was so new and unfamiliar. One day I was with my dad and he told me to wait outside of the car as he gets his stuff. After a while I realized that my dad was gone, I panicked and ran back to the apartment to see if he was there but he wasn’t. I began to feel scared and abandoned and as I was walking back to the car to reassure my dad wasn’t there. On the way two cops saw me and questioned me as to where my parents were but I wasn’t able to answer because I didn’t know English. Luckily my dad was looking for me and saw me with the cops. Turns out my dad was still in the car but because I wasn’t able to see him which created fear and panic. This practice help me think about the incident and made me realized why I felt that way. I remember this memory vividly because of the panic and fear I felt on that day.

11.   Natalia Paredes said:

The earliest memory I can recall is when I was about three years old, it was late in the afternoon and sun rays were coming into the window, I was playing with my dolls when I heard the door open and close. It was my big sister, I remember she came into my room with a big smile in her face holding something behind her back. “I have a surprise for you,” she said, then she pulled a pink box that contained a ceramic tea kit, I started jumping and I smiled so much that my face hurt. Then, she made me sit down with her in the floor while I was desperate to open the pink box before she gave it to me she said that she brought me that ceramic tea kit because she believed I was a big girl and I could take care of it. I remember that after that, since the moment I open the box I did everything in slow motion and with such as delicacy as if it was a life or death situation because I was scared of breaking something and that I wouldn’t be able to prove that I was a big girl. In another hand, my big sister remembers the moment different, she said that when she gave me the box I open it desperately that I even broke the box, and that not even two hours later I already had broken two plates. Based on Freud’s work I can conclude that maybe that memory sticks with me because it was a moment of stress in my little world. It is really impressive how things can differ from how our little minds can perceive moments in our lives and how different factors over time can go and shaped them up to create a completely new memory, and file them inside our minds and still feel so real.

12.   Veronica Pena said:

In his work “Screen Memories” Sigmund Freud believes some of our earliest memories may not always be as we remember them. One of the earliest memories I have from my childhood is my 3rd birthday. For some hispanics turning 3 is a large milestone that warrants a celebration similarly to a sweet 16. I remember having a huge party and running around with my cousins. I remember being forced to dance with my brother and even hiding behind a table to secretly open presents. Thinking about Freud’s paper also made me recall the times others have told me about their earliest memories. I’ve had people tell me about memories they themselves don’t remember but are usually told about from their parents. Most of those memories tend to be of them getting hurt. There are times when I’ve asked a sibling if they remember an event that happened but swear to me they don’t remember it happening.

13.   Alinoor Rahman said:

“Screen Memories” by Sigmund Freud talks about memories and emphasizes how it may not always seem to be the way we remember them. One of my earliest memories was when I was about 8 years old. It was back in out old apartment. A regular summer day. We would wake up, played with toys and watched pbs kids cartoons most of the day. I was minding my business on the corner of my bed. Next thing I know my older brother pushes me off (we would randomly fight as siblings). My face hits a luggage and the my head bounces off and hits the floor. My nose had made direct contact with the floor and made a cracking noise. I thought it broke because it started bleeding really quick. My mom was a nurse in out country, she then checked it out and said it was fine. However for a good couple of days i would randomly bleed out, we got it checked out and they said nothing was fractured. To this day i feel a weird bump on my nose. I asked my brother and he told me that he remembers that i was on the edge of the bed and fell off by myself, that he didnt push me, which is what i had thought happened. Going back to Freud’s work I kind of agree in a sense. Overtime my memories change and so do my stories to a certain extent

14.   Jason Jiang said:

After reading the article by Sigmund Freud I started to wonder what my earliest memories I can remember are. After reading the article Sigmund Freud makes some points on why we remember certain parts of your earliest life and not other, and that is due to the significance they have. That significance could either be a trauma or something else, with the memory not being one hundred percent accurate due to how long ago it was. One of the earliest recollections I can remember is when I first went to school and because if was the first time in school I didn’t know what was going on and was constantly crying. I don’t know my exact age, but it was early in my life which makes me think of Freuds theories about memory and how from my earliest recollection I am able to remember is because of its significance. This is significant as it was my first ever time in school which even though it happened over ten years ago I am able to remember it because it played a significant role in my life.

15.   Wenhui Ding said:

The most triggering memory of my childhood is I kept running while there is a bunch of rocks hurting my leg. I kept running and running. I ran so fast that I cannot realize the pain on my legs. I do not know how far I did ran actually. It was exhausting. If Freud were here, he would analyze in this way. You remembered you were running for a long time at your childhood. You definitely could not run infinitely. It is reasonable to explain your memory as half fact and half hallucination. Running usually represents escaping from something. You were afraid of something at that time. That thing had a profound effect on both mental and physical aspects. It was frightening you in the real world and your mind produced some hallucinations to help to reduce the amount of fear. Freud’s psychoanalytical approach is effective in helping the patient to discover what every symbol represents in people’s memories. After I performed my own practice, I realize that what Freud states in the “screen memories” is no more a stranger to me. I start to understand the underlining reasons for those theories to be authentic. My practice helps me to be somewhat supportive of Freud’s theories.

16.   Ayoub Janah said:

This reading, “Screen Memories” was intriguing as Freud took us through some of the memories and how it may mean a deep significance. We go through our day constantly thinking of what we will do tomorrow and forgetting the memories that create us. It soon becomes a small bubble that we could only paint a picture of things that we may not seem as important as they are supposed to be. For example, when I was around 7, I was an energetic kid. I was too hyper as a kid, it was a Saturday afternoon and I was coming back home with my mom after we went shopping. Now the place that we lived was pretty a quiet and not a busy neighborhood. As we were walking, the block before my house their a automatic garage door. I was curious as a kid so I ran into the garage before my mom could say anything. To my attention as I was halfway into the garage, it started to close. While I was in, my mom screamed out urging me to run back before it closes shut. I ran and scurried underneath the closing garage. Once out, I noticed there was a sign that says “beware of dogs…and no trespassing.” But for some reason I forgot about this until I saw a garage door closing, that was when I started having this vivid story appear in my head. It’s just hard to grasp the thought, that some memories that you may have thought meant no significance may be bigger than you think.